Step 2. NUTRITION
I don’t like the word DIET. First off, it has the word DIE in it… like come onnnnn. That’s just ridiculous!
This is not a DIET. It is a lifestyle. It is a change to create a healthier version of you. A different, maybe better, version of you.
See all this food?!? Well this girl made a trip to Whole Foods… a very longgggg trip! Why? Well… because reading labels is time consuming!!!! AND because this girl is on a 21 DAY CHALLENGE!
21 days of something creates a habit.
What does it consist of?! The simple version…
NO added sugar
Think if it grows… it’s good!
I know what you’re thinking… this is going to be HARD. Well I agree. It is going to be hard and it’s going to be WORTH IT! Nothing GREAT is ever easy. I’ve done this challenge for 8 weeks in the past and had GREAT results. I’m actually looking forward to this challenge of eating clean and feeling good. REALLY GOOD.
For those of you who want to do this with me (because getting healthy is always more fun together) I’m going to share what is compliant and what is not.
YOU CAN DO THIS. Remember that.
- Chicken, turkey, duck, other fowl
- Bacon (no sugar added bacon)
- Fish – fresh and canned (tuna, salmon, sardines)
- Deli and processed meats
VEGETABLES & LEGUMES
- Most vegetables (kale, cauliflower, broccoli, beets, carrots, artichokes, green beans, Brussels sprouts, mushrooms, cabbage, spinach, parsnips, rutabagas, sunchokes, turnips, etc)
- *White potato
- *Sweet potato
- *Winter squash (butternut, acorn, pumpkin)
- *Beans & other legumes (lentils, chickpeas)
- *Soy, Fermented (tempeh, miso
- Soybeans (edamame, tofu)
- *All fruits
- *Dried fruit (dates, raisins, mangos, etc)
- Lemon and lime juice
- Dried fruit with added sugar
- *All nuts and seeds, including peanuts
- *All nut and seed butters, including peanut butter
- *Rice (white, brown, wild)
- *Corn tortilla (EXCEPTION of corn flour)
- Oats and oatmeal
- Bread, bagels, muffins
- Flour tortilla
- Pasta or noodles of any kind (rice or quinoa)
- Flours of any grain (rice flour, quinoa flour, corn flour, wheat flour)
- Potato starch
FATS & OILS
- Olive oil
- Coconut oil
- Avocado oil
- Duck fat
- Flaxseed oil
- Grapeseed oil
- Lard (pork fat)
- Nut oils
- Tallow (beef fat)
Not recommended: industrial vegetable and seed oils, including: soy, corn, peanut, sunflower, safflower, or canola oils
- Hydrogenated oils
ALCOHOL & BEVERAGES
- Coconut water
- Vegetable juice
- *Beet juice
- *Carrot juice
Wine or spirits – limit ONE per week.
- Fruit juice
- Soda – diet or regular
- Whey protein
Try unsweetened almond or coconut milk!
- Sour Cream
- *Coconut sugar and nectar
- All other forms of sugar, sweeteners, and artificial sweeteners, including white, brown, turbinado, evaporated cane juice, honey, agave, maple syrup, molasses, aspartame, sucralose, and NutraSweet.
- Sweet potato fries (baked or fried)
- White potato fries (baked)
- Baked chips (sweet potato, white potato, vegetable)
- Arrowroot powder
- Guar gum
- Tapioca starch
- Xanthum gum
- Natural and artificial flavors and colors
- White potatoes (fried)
- Fried chips of any kind (including vegetable)
- Hydrogenated oil
- Nitrates and nitrites
* = in moderation
What else am I doing?!
- Keeping track of my food – write it down or log it in an app like myfitness pal!
- Exercising at least 5 days a week. Even if it’s just a walk.
- After 5 days of PERFECTION – giving myself a treat of something that isn’t allowed. For me that is a halo top ice cream or sushi (sushi rice has sugar.. I’m sorry I just ruined your life). Don’t go crazy with your little cheat but reward yourself.
- I will do 21 days and then an additional 21 days after my vacation. I encourage you to evaluate yourself at the end of your challenge and potentially keep it up!!! You’ll be surprised how much you like it.
Who is IN?! Comment and let me know!!
I’m proud of you.